There are so many ways to prepare and eat shredded cabbage, but how long does it last in the fridge?
Shredded cabbage can be eaten as a side dish, on top of salads, or even in soups.
But because it is a high-carbohydrate food, it can quickly go bad if not stored properly.
To keep shredded cabbage fresh and ready to eat, follow these tips: refrigerate in a sealed container, mix with other vegetables and herbs to make a savory entrée, and store in the refrigerator away from fish and dairy products.
What’s Shredded Cabbage?
Shredded cabbage is a type of cabbage that has been cut or shredded into thin strips.
It is often used in salads and slaws, as well as in stir-fries and other cooked dishes.
Shredded cabbage will last for 1-2 days in the fridge, or up to a week if it is stored in an airtight container.
How To Store Shredded Cabbage?
If you’re anything like me, you love cabbage. It’s delicious, nutritious, and versatile.
But sometimes, it can be a pain to store.
Shredded cabbage tends to wilt quickly, and no one wants to eat soggy cabbage.
So what’s the best way to store it?
The best way to store shredded cabbage is in an airtight container in the fridge.
I like to use glass jars or Tupperware for this.
You can also put it in a zip-top bag, but make sure to squeeze out as much air as possible before sealing it.
To keep your cabbage fresh for as long as possible, make sure to shred it just before you’re ready to use it.
If you have to shred it ahead of time, try to do so no more than a day or two in advance.
And when you’re ready to use it, just give it a quick rinse under cold water and pat it dry with a paper towel.
How Long Does Shredded Cabbage Last?
Cabbage is a leafy green vegetable that is often used in salads and slaws.
It is also a key ingredient in many traditional dishes, such as sauerkraut and kimchi.
Cabbage is very versatile and can be enjoyed fresh, cooked, or fermented.
Shredded cabbage will last for about 1-2 days in the fridge.
This is because the surface area of the shredded cabbage is increased, which causes it to spoil faster.
If you want your shredded cabbage to last longer, you can store it in a airtight container or baggie.
Cooked cabbage will last for 3-5 days in the fridge.
If you’re not planning on eating your cabbage right away, you can also freeze it.
Shredded cabbage will last for up to 8 months in the freezer, while cooked cabbage will last for 6-8 months.
When freezing cabbage, be sure to use an airtight container or baggie to prevent freezer burn.
Can You Freeze Shredded Cabbage?
You can freeze shredded cabbage, but it’s not going to taste as good as fresh cabbage.
The texture will also be different – it will be more mushy once it’s thawed.
If you’re looking to extend the life of your cabbage, freezing is a good option.
Just be aware that the quality won’t be the same as if you had eaten it fresh.
Ways To Use Up Leftover Shredded Cabbage
If you’re like me, you tend to buy more cabbage than you can possibly eat before it goes bad.
And while I love cabbage, there are only so many salads I can eat in a week.
So what do you do with the rest of that shredded cabbage?
Here are a few ideas:
- Add it to soup or stew. This is an easy way to bulk up a recipe and add some extra veggies at the same time.
- Make coleslaw. This is the most obvious use for shredded cabbage, but it’s also one of the best. There’s nothing like homemade coleslaw, and it’s so easy to make. Just mix together some shredded cabbage, mayo, vinegar, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Stir fry it. Shredded cabbage is great in stir fry recipes. Just throw it in with your other veggies and cook until tender.
- Use it as a pizza topping. Believe it or not, shredded cabbage is actually a great pizza topping. It adds a nice crunch and a bit of sweetness that balances out the savory flavors of the pizza sauce and cheese. Give it a try next time you make pizza at home.
- Make sauerkraut. This is a bit more of an advanced use for shredded cabbage, but if you’re feeling adventurous, why not give it a try? Homemade sauerkraut is surprisingly easy to make, and it’s really delicious.
Shredded cabbage will last for-3-5 days in the fridge; 3-4 months in the freezer.
Cabbage is a great vegetable to have on hand because it shredded cabbage lasts a long time.
You can use it in a variety of dishes and it is a healthy vegetable to eat.
When cabbage is shredded, it breaks down the cellulose fibers which makes it easier for the body to digest.
This also means that shredded cabbage will go bad faster than whole cabbage.
Keep shredded cabbage in a sealed bag or container in the fridge or freezer to make it last longer.
- Shredded cabbage
- Air-tight containers or Ziplock bags
- Labels and markers
- Store your product in an labelled container in a cool, dark place like the pantry or fridge.
- If your food is frozen, allow it to thaw in the fridge before cooking.
- Make sure to look for signs that your food has gone bad before eating it.