Pancakes are always a delicious breakfast option, but what to serve with them can sometimes be tricky.
If you’re looking for some ideas, check out these 12 side dishes that will complement your pancakes perfectly.
From bacon and eggs to fruit salad and oatmeal, there’s something here for everyone.
So get cooking and enjoy a delicious breakfast this weekend.
What to Serve with Pancakes? 12 Side Dishes to Try
1. Maple or Strawberry Syrup
Maple or strawberry syrup is a great addition to pancakes.
Not only does it add flavor, but it also gives the pancakes a moist and fluffy texture.
Here are some tips on how to make the perfect maple or strawberry syrup:
- Firstly, you need to choose the right type of maple syrup. There are two types of maple syrup – light and dark. The light maple syrup has a milder flavor, while the dark maple syrup has a stronger flavor. If you want a more intense flavor, then you should go for the dark maple syrup.
- Secondly, you need to heat the syrup before adding it to the pancakes. This will help to evenly distribute the flavor and prevent the pancakes from sticking to the pan.
- Finally, if you want a really special treat, then you can add some whipped cream or ice cream on top of your pancakes before pouring on the syrup. This will make them even more delicious.
2. Scrambled Eggs
Scrambled eggs are one of the most versatile and easy-to-make dishes out there.
They can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, or dinner and can be made to suit any taste.
Scrambled eggs are a great way to get your protein fix, and they’re also packed with vitamins and minerals.
There are endless ways to make scrambled eggs, but our favorite has to be with a bit of cheese and some chopped green onions.
The cheese adds a delicious creaminess to the dish, while the green onions add a bit of zing.
If you’re feeling extra fancy, you could even add in some smoked salmon or bacon.
Here are our tips for making the perfect scrambled eggs:
- Don’t over-stir – just give them a few gentle stirs as they cook so that they don’t become dry or rubbery.
- Add in your favorite seasonings – we like to add a bit of salt and pepper, but you could also try garlic powder, onion powder, or even cayenne pepper for a bit of heat.
- Cook them on medium-low heat so that they have time to cook through without becoming burnt.
3. Sausage Links
Sausage links are a great recipe to try if you’re looking for something hearty and filling.
The sausage is flavorful and juicy, and the links go well with a variety of sides.
If you’re serving sausage links for breakfast, you can’t go wrong with pancakes.
The two dishes complement each other perfectly.
The pancakes are light and fluffy, while the sausage is rich and savory.
Serve with a side of eggs for a complete meal.
For lunch or dinner, pair your sausage links with mashed potatoes or roasted vegetables.
The potatoes will soak up all the delicious juices from the sausage, and the vegetables will add a nice crunch.
Add a side of bread to mop up any extra sauce.
Whether you have them for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, sausage links are a great option.
So give them a try next time you’re looking for something new to cook.
4. Egg Muffins
Egg muffins are a great recipe to try if you’re looking for something that’s quick, easy, and delicious.
They’re also a great way to use up any leftover eggs you might have.
These muffins are packed with protein and make a great breakfast or snack.
They’re also very versatile – you can add any flavors you like to them.
I like to add some cheese and bacon to mine, but you could also add veggies like spinach or tomatoes.
Here are some tips for making the perfect egg muffin:
- Use a non-stick muffin pan for the easiest release.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F before adding your fillings to the muffin cups. This will help the eggs cook evenly.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and mix in your desired fillings. Then, fill each muffin cup about ¾ full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the eggs are firm and cooked through.
- Allow the egg muffins to cool slightly before removing them from the pan. Serve warm or store in the fridge for later.
5. Fresh Berries
There’s nothing quite like a stack of pancakes smothered in butter and syrup, but sometimes you want something a little different.
That’s where fresh berries come in. This is a great recipe to try if you’re looking for something that is both sweet and tart.
The berries will add a pop of color to your pancakes, and they are the perfect way to dress up a simple breakfast dish.
When choosing berries for this recipe, you can really use any type that you like.
Some of our favorites include strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries.
If you want to mix it up, you could even use blackberries or cherries.
Just be sure to wash them before adding them to your pancakes.
To get the most flavor out of your berries, we recommend cooking them into pancakes.
Simply add them to the batter before cooking.
You could also top your pancakes with fresh berries after they are cooked.
If you want to take things one step further, you could even make a berry compote to serve on top of your pancakes.
6. Chocolate Chips
If you’re looking for a delicious and easy pancake recipe, chocolate chip pancakes are the way to go.
These pancakes are fluffy and full of flavor, and they’re perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth.
Plus, they’re super easy to make – all you need is a box of pancake mix, some milk, an egg, and a bag of chocolate chips.
Chocolate chip pancakes are best served with syrup and butter, but you can also top them with fruit, whipped cream, or even ice cream.
If you want a really decadent treat, try serving them with chocolate sauce or caramel sauce.
For a fun twist on this classic breakfast dish, try adding a handful of chocolate chips to your pancake batter.
They’ll melt into the pancakes as they cook and create a deliciously gooey center.
Here are a few tips for making the perfect chocolate chip pancakes:
- Cook the pancakes over medium heat, so they don’t burn.
- Use fresh or frozen chocolate chips – avoid using chocolate chips that have been sitting in your pantry for months.
- Add a handful of chocolate chips to the batter before cooking for extra gooeyness.
7. Peanut Butter
Peanut butter pancakes are a delicious and easy recipe to try.
All you need is some peanut butter, pancake mix, and water.
You can also add in some chocolate chips or bananas for an extra special treat.
Peanut butter pancakes are a great option for those who are looking for a protein-packed breakfast.
Peanut butter is a good source of healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals.
It’s also a great way to add some flavor to your pancakes.
To make peanut butter pancakes, simply add two tablespoons of peanut butter to your pancake batter.
If you want your pancakes to be extra fluffy, you can add an additional tablespoon of peanut butter.
Cook your pancakes as usual, and enjoy.
8. Whipped Cream Or Ice Cream
Whipped cream or ice cream is a great way to top off your pancakes and make them even more delicious.
Not only does it add a bit of sweetness, but it also makes the pancakes more moist and rich.
There are many different flavors of ice cream and whipped cream to choose from, so you can really mix things up and experiment with different combinations.
If you’re using whipped cream, be sure to use a high-quality brand that is made with real cream.
This will give you the best flavor and texture.
If you’re using ice cream, go for a premium brand that has a good balance of sweetness and creaminess.
When it comes to toppings, less is more.
A little goes a long way, so start with a small scoop and then add more if needed.
9. Cheese (Sliced, Grated, Or Crumbled)
Pancakes are a breakfast favorite, but they can be enjoyed at any time of the day.
And while pancakes are delicious on their own, they’re even better when served with a side dish.
Cheese is a great option for a side dish because it pairs well with pancakes and can be easily prepared.
There are many different types of cheese that would be good to serve with pancakes.
Sliced, grated, or crumbled cheese all work well.
And depending on your taste, you can choose mild or sharp cheese.
Cheese is a good option for a side dish because it’s flavorful and pairs well with pancakes.
It’s also easy to prepare – simply slice, grate, or crumble the cheese and add it to your plate.
If you’re looking for ideas on what type of cheese to serve with pancakes, here are some suggestions: cheddar, Swiss, mozzarella, Parmesan, Gruyere, and Gouda.
But really, any type of cheese would be delicious.
So go ahead and experiment until you find a combination that you love.
10. Classic Fruit Salad
This classic fruit salad is a great dish to try if you’re looking for something healthy and refreshing.
The salad is made with a variety of fruits, including apples, grapes, oranges, and bananas.
The sweetness of the fruits is balanced by the tartness of the orange juice and lemon juice dressing.
This dish is perfect for any occasion, whether you’re hosting a backyard barbecue or taking a dish to a potluck.
It’s also a great way to use up any leftover fruit you have in your fridge.
The best part about this salad is that it can be easily customized to your liking.
If you don’t like one of the fruits listed above, feel free to swap it out for another type of fruit that you do like.
To make this salad, start by chopping up all of the fruit into bite-sized pieces.
Then, in a large bowl, mix together the chopped fruit, orange juice, lemon juice, and sugar.
Give everything a good stir until the sugar has dissolved.
Let the salad sit for at least 30 minutes so that the flavors can meld together.
Just before serving, add a handful of chopped fresh mint leaves (optional).
11. Caramelized Banana Slices
One of the best things you can do with ripe bananas is to slice them up and caramelize them.
This simple dish is not only delicious, but it’s also healthy and easy to make.
There are many reasons why you should try this recipe:
- It’s a great way to use up ripe bananas.
- It’s a healthy alternative to other desserts like cake or ice cream.
- The flavor is out of this world.
The sweetness of the caramelized bananas pairs perfectly with the rich, creamy taste of pancakes.
Here are some tips on how to make the perfect caramelized banana slices:
- Use ripe bananas for this recipe. The riper the banana, the sweeter it will be.
- Slice the bananas thinly so that they cook evenly.
- Be careful not to burn the bananas. Caramelization is a slow process, and you don’t want to end up with burnt bananas.
- Serve immediately after cooking for the best results.
12. Jam or Jelly
Jam and jelly are both fruit spreads, but they have different textures and uses.
Jam is made from crushed fruit and has a thick, spreadable consistency.
Jelly is made from fruit juice and has a softer, gel-like consistency.
Both jam and jelly can be used on pancakes, but they each have their own unique flavor and texture that can complement the pancakes in different ways.
If you want a fruit spread with a more intense flavor, then the jam is the way to go.
The thick consistency of jam also makes it perfect for spreading on thick pancakes.
If you prefer a lighter fruit flavor or want a topping with a softer texture, then jelly is the better option.
There is a wide variety of both jams and jellies available, so you can choose the one that best fits your pancake preference.
So, what goes with pancakes? Whether you’re looking for something sweet or savory, there’s a dish here for you.
Give one of these recession-busting recipes a try next time you’re whipping up a batch of pancakes.
- 1. Maple or Strawberry Syrup
- 2. Scrambled Eggs
- 3. Sausage Links
- 4. Egg Muffins
- 5. Fresh Berries
- 6. Chocolate Chips
- 7. Peanut Butter
- 8. Whipped Cream Or Ice Cream
- 9. Cheese (Sliced, Grated, Or Crumbled)
- 10. Classic Fruit Salad
- 11. Caramelized Banana Slices
- 12. Jam or Jelly
- Select your favorite sides from the list above.
- Prepare the side dish according to the recipe instructions.
- If you're short on time, some of these can be made ahead of time and reheated before serving.
- Serve and enjoy!